Plovdiv, Bulgaria's second most important city, preserves the undying values of its six millenia long history. With the name of Philippopolis the city celebrated the conquest of Philip II of Macedon, but it was classical Trimonium which left indelible marks of its grandeur, still visible today scattered on the six hills of Plovdiv.
The most remarkable of
them rising above the city is
the Antique Amphitheatre built by Emperor Mark Avrelii
during the II century A.D. Its magnificant arcade adorned
with marble statues is simply breath-taking. Theatre and opera
performances are still staged here on warm summer nights.
Roman Stadium is also constructed during the II century
and reproduces the layout in Delphi, Greece. Within the centre
of the ancient major town of the Roman province of Thrace
remains of stone paved streets, foundations of buildings and
columns and ancient fortress walls and gates reside.
Plovdiv nowadays is an original living museum, an architectural
phenomenon with many of the houses of those times' most
prominent bulgarians turned into museums, galleries hosting
various art exhibitions, festivals and biennials, and even
The Etnographic Museum in Plovdiv is one of the most interesting museums in Bulgaria. Its exhibits are on show in a beautiful house, which is a fine example of the Bulgarian Baroque architecture of the National Revival Period. It was built in 1847. The principal facade of the house faces west, giving onto a spacious and well-kept garden. It consists of two clearly differentiated bodies: middle part projecting far forwards, and side wings drawn back.
After restoration of Bulgarian country in 1878, this beautiful house was used for various purposes: as a girl's boarding school, then a millinery factory and a tobacco warehouse, while in 1943 the exhibition of the Municipal house was opened in it. Collecting the ethnographic materials now housed there was begun in 1951.
Aside from all the cultural events, Plovdiv is an ancient trade centre. Since 1892 the International Plovdiv Fair - one of the oldest and biggest on the Bolkans - is conducted twice annually in the beginning of May and in September, attracting participants and visitors from a wide range of countries.
Plovdiv people are in love with the spirit of their native Plovdiv,
in love with the Spirit of the immortal contributing to the mutual understanding,
to the mutual assistance and respect in the peaceful coexistence.
The great inheritance the millennia had accumulated arround the seven hills
in the Maritza valley, is a source of self-confidence,
but of responsability and a feeling of duty as well.
Duty not only to our ancestors and forebears, but to our children as well.
Because it is not so important just to know history, to see its symbols,
to preserve them and pass them over.
The important thing is to do all this with the reverence of people
in love with their past, present and future,
which make the spirit called Plovdiv.